Chief Financial Officer
Reports to: Eugene McDermott Director
Department: Finance and Accounting
Classification: Exempt, Full-time, Full Museum Benefits
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Based in Dallas, TX
ABOUT THE MUSEUM:
Established in 1903, the Dallas Museum of Art (DMA) is among the 10 largest art museums in the country and is distinguished by its commitment to research, innovation, and public engagement. At the heart of the Museum and its programs is its global collection, which encompasses more than 25,000 works and spans 5,000 years of history, representing a full range of world cultures. Located in the heart of the nation’s largest arts district, the Museum welcomes some 800,000+ visitors annually and acts as a catalyst for community creativity, engaging people of all ages and backgrounds with a diverse spectrum of programming, from exhibitions and lectures to concerts, literary events, and dramatic and dance presentations. In January 2013, the DMA returned to a free general admission policy.
For more information, visit DMA.org. The Dallas Museum of Art is supported, in part, by the generosity of Museum Partners and donors and by the citizens of Dallas through the City of Dallas Office of Arts & Culture and the Texas Commission on the Arts.
DMA Mission: The Dallas Museum of Art is a space of wonder and discovery where art comes alive.
The DMA will:
- Place art and our diverse communities at the center around which all activities radiate.
- Pursue excellence in collecting and programming, present works of art across cultures and time, and be a driving force in contemporary art.
- Strengthen their position as a prominent, innovative institution, expanding the meaning and possibilities of learning and creativity.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Chief Financial Officer reports to the Museum Director and is responsible for the effective management of the Museum’s finances, accounting function, and select earned revenue streams. As a key member of the Director’s Team, the CFO provides active leadership in all aspects of the Museum’s operations and is a partner to the Museum’s Director on business and strategic planning, various key relationships, and planning for the Museum’s future. The CFO reports to the Director and works closely with the Deputy Director, Chief Development Officer, Chief Human Resources Officer, Chief Marketing and Communications officer, Director of Education, and Chief Curator. The CFO directly supervises the Controller and the Director of Retail, overseeing the accounting function and working closely with the Budget and Finance Committee, the Investment Committee, the Audit Committee, the Board of Trustees, and other outside consultants as needed.
This is an ideal opportunity for a proven financial leader accustomed to managing a complex portfolio and leading change to apply their expertise towards DMA’s mission and vision for the future.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Organizational Leadership and Strategy
- With the Museum Director and senior staff, direct the preparation of the Museum’s annual operating, capital budgets and multi-year forecasts
- Serve as counsel to the Museum Director, Senior Staff, and the Board on accounting/financial matters including the endowment, operating and capital budgets, and financial projections
- Report financial information and trends to the Board and manage relationships with the Board’s Budget and Finance, Investment and Audit committees
- Advise senior staff on key strategic issues and decisions, informed by rigorous financial analyses, risk assessments, “what if” scenario modeling, and due diligence
- Manage and develop a team of 2 direct reports, including the Controller and Head of Retail, ensuring the team is coached, developed, and positioned to achieve their goals
- Advise the Museum Director and senior staff on revenue generating opportunities for DMA
- Provide leadership in the Museum’s accreditation process and annual AAMD statistical surveys
- Foster a culture that encourages collaboration, accountability, transparency, and supports steps in building equity, diversity, and creating a space of inclusion and belonging
Financial and Administrative Management and Oversight
- Devise, implement, and administer the Museum’s overall budgeting and forecasting process, ensuring clear reporting, analysis, and communications to the Board and internal and external constituents; liaise with external auditors and the Budget and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Oversee all financial results and analysis, managing overall revenue and expenses in support of the Museum’s strategic direction
- Direct the accounting and related financial activities of the Museum to ensure sound fiscal administration, ensuring that procedures, practices, and reports comply with applicable regulations, standard practice, and GAAP
- Establish appropriate policies and internal control procedures to safeguard assets of the Museum
- Direct the preparation of tax returns and related reports to ensure compliance with governmental reporting requirements
- Lead the accounting function’s preparation of the financial portion of grant reports and billings to ensure compliance with requirements and policies of funding sources
- Oversee the annual audit process; liaise with external auditors and the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Administer the Museum’s $280M+ endowment, with an eye towards risk management and income maximization; liaise with external advisors and the Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Oversee the activity of select earned revenue functions including the DMA Café, Museum parking, and the DMA Store; coordinate with external foodservice providers and other contractors as necessary
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance and/or accounting; Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 15+ years of overall professional experience, with a minimum of five years’ experience in financial management and earned revenue preferred
- Strong analytical capabilities including financial planning, forecasting, modeling, and data analysis
- A strategic team-oriented player with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Strong cultural competence and appreciation for working with diverse teams and for an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Track record of building and leading effective teams; evidence of building a customer-centric, data-driven team culture and coaching/developing others to maximize their potential
- Experience in leading the financial aspects of a seven-figure+ capital campaign and large building project preferred
- Collaborative approach to executive leadership, and the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams to meet goals and improve organizational performance
- Strong communication, influencing, and listening skills with the demonstrated ability to articulate reasoning and clear thought processes to diverse audiences
- Compelling leadership presence, with a track record of working effectively with Boards and other members of senior staff
- Demonstrated capability to partner with revenue-generating departments to set and achieve financial, strategic, and operational goals
- Strong track record of designing and enhancing financial systems and processes
- Expertise managing external resources including auditors, benefit providers, and other professionals
- Well versed in retirement benefit planning, investments, general liability insurance, and knowledge of group insurance benefits and funding a plus
- Takes a teaching orientation; strives to build financial fluency and confidence across the organization
Our Core Values
- Act with Integrity: Be open, honest, and ethical.
- Communicate Openly: Be constructive, transparent, and respectful.
- Build Inclusivity: Diverse backgrounds make us stronger.
- Join Forces: Support collaboration and unity.
- Work Passionately: Be fearless, creative, and solutions-driven.
- Embrace and Drive Change: Be nimble, there is always a way to yes.
- Invest in Each Other: Pursue learning.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Policy
The Dallas Museum of Art fosters equity, celebrates diversity, and supports inclusion. We acknowledge that diverse backgrounds and voices of visitors, volunteers, trustees, staff, and communities represented in the collection make us stronger and better equipped to make positive impacts locally, nationally, and internationally.
Society’s historical legacies and systemic barriers have created disparities in the communities we serve. Knowing this, we strive to expand and enhance arts opportunities for all.
Many factors—including but not limited to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetics, economic backgrounds, and experiences—make individuals and groups unique. Our goal is to ensure visitors, volunteers, trustees, staff, and collections reflect this diversity.
We commit to listening to and learning from diverse voices and perspectives. We create a vibrant and accessible social space that encourages dialogue and the exchange of ideas through arts and culture.
The Dallas Museum of Art is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The DMA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
3 days ago
TC Industries Of Canada Company
Job #: 662417Release Date: 6/17/2021Company: Healthcare/Hospitals/Clinics, Fort Worth, TXSalary: ConfidentialRemarks:As a Chief Financial Officer you will:Plans, organizes and directs the fiscal servi
ExecuNet - Fort worth, Tx - Experteer US
JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: chief financial officer DEPARTMENT: Executive REPORTS TO: President/CEO FLSA STATUS: <
Promise House, Inc - Dallas, Tx, Texas - Adzuna
EXPERIENCE: A seasoned and mature leader with at least 12-15 years of broad finance experience, ideally beginning in audit, followed by experience gathering and evaluating financial informat
Promise House Inc - Dallas, Tx, Texas - Adzuna
TMX Finance is currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer to join the Executive team in Savannah, Georgia. Reporting to and partnering with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Financial O
TMX Finance - Dallas, Tx, Texas - Adzuna